Life Skills for School Students
What is Life Skills?
According to World Health Organisation: “Life Skills are the abilities that help us to adapt and behave positively so that we can deal effectively with challenges of everyday life.”
Why are life skills important for children and young people?
Life skills are important because they give children and young people more control to improve their lives. We believe life skills programme have an impact on behavior and choices made by the children.
Core focus of the course
The children shall pick up the skills and attributes that they normally do not acquire in the traditional and formal education system. These functional skills will last them a lifetime and include:
• Leadership & teamwork
• Self Awareness and social awareness
• Goal Setting & target achievement
• Social & environmental awareness
• Creative and critical thinking
• Practical application of knowledge
• Personality & positive attitude
Benefits to the students:
• Fosters brain development
• Improves concentration levels
• Inculcates a lifelong love for learning
• Develops educational preparedness
• Enriches knowledge & increases skills and proficiency
• Improves self-confidence & self-esteem
• Creates promptness in application
• Ensures ability to work independently
• Enhances listening and speaking skills
• Provides experiential learning instead of memorization
Children respond well to methods that make them think in an active way. Younger children like to move physically and learn well ‘on their feet’. The learning programme needs to meet their needs. Our methods include:
Group discussions Picture Cards Surveys
Role play Games and exercise Drawing
Feedback Audio/Video Presentations Puppets
Silent Reflection Out of class projects Interviews
The curriculum is:
• Innovative, scientific and organised with proper care and attention to the various skills and abilities that need to be stimulated and developed within a child.
• Use of the latest technology to provide an interactive and visual learning experience for children along with kinesthetic and auditory learning to maximize each child’s potential
• Extensive stress upon audio-video, music, creative activities, aroup work, play, experiments, and presentations.
About the Facilitators:
• Are highly qualified and well trained
• Focus on higher-order important-to-life learning goals for all
• Emphasize performance and application of knowledge
• Maintain a personalized environment of mutual support and respect that promotes responsibility
• Integrate learning with functional skills
• Cater to individual learner’s need
• Concentrate on differentiated expectations to enhance the process of continuous learning
• Make learning an enjoyable experience
• Employ creative, innovative and modern teaching techniques
• Update themselves with all modern teaching - learning techniques
To complete the course, we require 30 sessions.
The cost of the programme is Nrs. 500 per student.